Sunday, January 22, 2006

Gula Villan


Greetings from Stockholm!

The picture postcard house on the right is where I'm going to be living for the next five months. It's called the "Gula Villan" which is Swedish for "Yellow house" (logical eh?). My room in the one on the left on the top floor. It was originally built in 1896 to house Mittag-Leffler's brother. I'm glad to say that unlike old houses I've lived in previously it's really rather snug and warm inside.

Life at the Institut has already fallen into some kind of a routine. Every day we go to lunch at a particular restaurant about 200m up the road. There are always three choice of food (meat, fish or veggie); the problem is that very few of us can read the menu so every meal is a suprise! This week I have learned:

potato pancakes=good, herring=bad.

The other strange think about this place is the diners. They are all either (a) mathematicians or (b) over 70. I am always amused by the line of zimmer frames outside.

More posts may follow.....

14 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Woohoo. I am the first commenter. The first to leave an immovable stain on your pristine new blog. Let this be a lesson to you. I expect it to be only a matter of days before you master template-ology and turn this whiteness into a oh-so-knowing post-ironic nod to Sesame Street.

Link me, baby!

1:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the most Swedish house I have ever seen. Nice blog.

2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The other strange think about this place is the diners. They are all either (a) mathematicians or (b) over 70. I am always amused by the line of zimmer frames outside."

--> presumably there exists is a union of these two sets which is not equal to the empty set.

12:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Sam. What the people want is less pontificating and more daleks.

1:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam!

Ziggy predicts there is a 93% probability that the "Daleks" will appear on this blog very soon.

There is also a 100% chance that more mathematics (including probability) will soon be posted here!

11:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owwwww!

11:05 am  
Blogger Andrew said...

I detect a familiar pattern of commenting here....

Pippi Långstrump I've never heard of you! Tell me about yourself.

1:58 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

Hawking!

So this is where you're hiding? What's the matter? Can't take the heat in 4620?

4:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praktisch?

11:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not dismiss us!

11:25 am  
Blogger Andrew said...

Praktisch? Of course!

12:44 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

I had herring today and it was really nice. So I do not dismiss you; I will eat you instead.

12:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaargh!

2:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Britain we reject your surgery propaganda.

8:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home